Thursday 15 December 2011

Singing

Last Friday I stood on a platform in the  the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, and I sang carols.  I was part of the Singing for the Brain Choir and I was definitely more terrified than the elderly gentleman standing next to me who remarked that it was the most frightening experience of his life. I held my nerve by fixing my eyes on my Rosy, who as conductor held this nervous group of distracted singers in the palm of her hand, constantly encouraging and guiding us through this challenge.  The warmth radiating from the paying audience and the glow of achievement from the singers was thrilling.  This was Radio Merseyside's fundraising concert for the Alzheimer's Society for whom Rosy had started work as a volunteer and by whom she is now highly valued.  I am so proud.

And what a place to be: a breathtaking gothic folly which took three quarters of a century to build.  I first walked into this extraordinary unfinished edifice in 1970 when I was on a school trip.  Six years later, when I working at Liverpool Playhouse, I went again to the Cathedral wearing an expensive dusky pink frock and a wide brimmed hat purchased especially for the occasion of a visit by the Queen.  To be standing here again as part of this inspiring choir of people in a most difficult time of their lives gave me cause to reflect on the strange journey we are all on, destination unknown.

If you want a Cathedral, as the Liverpool song goes, they've got one to spare.  It is a vast stone vaulted space that could contain Westminster Abbey.  I wondered how they could possibly cover the running costs when we struggle at the little Wincobank Chapel, so I looked at the website.  You can book the Cathedral for your next birthday party.
http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk/about/venue-hire/main-cathedral.aspx
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=1124

No comments:

Post a Comment