Thursday 12 April 2012

Chess opening

A very long time ago I remember my father sitting with my sister's eldest son Jeremy who was then about 7 and beginning to teach him to play chess.  His younger brother was sitting watching and I remember him playing with the pieces and turning the pages of a children's chess book before he counld even read.  Chris played chess at school, and later for Kent and then for England.  In 1996, the year his mother was critically ill, he brought a smile back to her face by becoming British Chess Champion and earning the title Grandmaster.

Today I watched with pride as Chris brought chess alive for some very young children and their parents who came along to a Children's University Chess Day. They listened with great concentration then played with determination and courage. Chris even made it seem possible that I could finally polish my pawns, rattle my rooks and ride out into the fray.  I just hope my Dad will take time out of his heavenly match to help me out. I may need a guardian angel if I get out of my depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment