Wednesday 8 August 2012

Out along the bay

On Sunday afternoon I decided I would walk to the Mumbles, those enticing bumps at the very far end of the bay.  I could have taken the car but my idea of a holiday is to lock the car and leave it alone.  Not all  my family agree with me.  I wonder why?    I walked past the Guildhall, a park, a cricket ground and Swansea University but after an hour those lumpy bits were still very far away.
Just as in the best stories, a friendly train chugged into view and I paid my £2 fare and jumped on board.  We were soon rocking rolling riding out along the bay with all the little and big boys and girls snug inside as the rain came down.  When the sun came out and dried up all the rain, the smiling, waving people appeared again. We  were overtaken by two boys on skateboards and bicyles sped by. 

Small wonder the Mumbles Train
was so popular over a century ago.  The first horse drawn trains used the track laid for the coal and limestone railway.  Experiments with sails and steam followed until electrification brought the famous trams into play.  In 1960 the trams were scrapped in favour of a "good bus service".  The rails were lifted and the road was widened to make way for more cars.

But luckily for me the magic Mumbles train chugs on.

No comments:

Post a Comment