Wednesday 1 December 2010

Looking back

I went back to Tyneside for the first time since selling the house nearly three years ago. I wasn't sure how I would feel face to face with our family home once so busy and full to bursting. I parked my car outside the house and walked through the town, invisible, unknown, down to the quayside where for fourteen years we had watched fireworks, filmed festivals and where on the dawn of the new century I had waited for the rising sun to fill me with new energy.

This time the sun was setting and I waited till it grew dark to see again the reflections on the water then walked back through smart streets that twenty years ago had been derelict, past the community garden I had imagined and now has come to be. All things change and so do we. Our children grew and flew, we all moved on, going our separate ways into the rest of our lives, to new adventures, into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment