Thursday 23 February 2017

Connie

Connie Wheeliker, nee Bell

Steve and I are moving into Connie's house soon.  
So who is Connie and where did she go?

I first met Connie Wheeliker nine years ago when I was summoned to her house just ten doors down from mine. My reputation as the history hunter of High Wincobank had reached her and she wanted to hand over the baton. She showed me her old photographs and told me that her ancestors, the Bells, were from one of the oldest families in the area. 

She had been born in the house that stands at the end of my road, on the site of the gatehouse of Wincobank Hall.  

Connie's Family Album

I later returned to receive cherished treasures: her local studies file, an enormous slide projector, a map of the Ancient Parish of Ecclesfield and a photo scrapbook she had made for the Wincobank Chapel archives. 

She showed me a painting in her hallway of the the old Newman Road farm surrounded by open fields.  Until that moment I had only thought of this  the plot of land opposite her house as a scrap yard stuck in the middle of housing. It brought a whole new perspective to the evolution of the area. 

Newman Road Farm



Last Christmas, when I came back from Hawaii I found that she was in hospital.  In her final six months spent in and out of hospital I saw more of her than I had ever done.  

She loved the home where she had lived for 64 years and the garden with its birds and tenderly nurtured plants.  She did not want to leave it, but eventually conceded defeat.  After several visits to hospital she asked to be moved to the nursing home where she died a few weeks later from cancer of the colon, something she had hardly ever mentioned. 

Connie was a character, very particular but with a great sense of humour. We made a great little film of her talking with her old friend Brendan Ingle who just happens to be a trainer of world champion boxers.  They had so much to say.    https://youtu.be/AV1uF3-h2UY  If the Youtube link does not work just cut and paste it into your browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment