Wednesday 17 August 2011

Reality

Home. To glowering grey skies and just a spot of cool rain, to my own little castle on my very special hill, to my tiny garden, a pile of
post, a flashing telephone and the 312 emails I went away from. My lovely neighbour Carolyn had kindly watered my plants and most thoughtfully, had left me fresh milk in the fridge for a nice cup of tea.

I stayed awake long enough to check in with my children and unpack then went to bed and slept for a while before waking up to check my emails to find to my relief that Beth's recall for a second mammogram was a false alarm then I slept for another twelve hours, cosy beneath a fluffy duvet instead of hot beneath a cotton sheet. I am just made for the damp and the cold. I love the rain. I think I must be a direct descendant of the Ancient Britons, made to survive life in a draughty mud hut.

Today I had an important appointment - a Speed Awareness Course, intended to cure me of my occasional tendency to drive faster than the speed limit permits as well as save me three more penalty points. On the last occasion this happened I was in Hertfordshire, visiting my sister. I'm not sure exactly where the misdeed was done, but I noticed neither the signs or the speed camera. I think I will in future.

Packed into our classroom were 24 reluctant participants who were all as vague as me about stopping distances, were equally unaware of the dramatic difference between injuries sustained from impact at 30 and 35 mph and were generally fairly confused about road markings, maximum speeds for various vehicles and unaware even of the meaning of speed when translated into ground covered per second.

It has made me realise how dangerous our roads can be, for both drivers and pedestrians, how easily an accident can happen. I am lucky to have stayed alive so long. It is nearly forty years since I took my driving test. Perhaps it is time for another.





No comments:

Post a Comment