Tuesday 2 August 2011

Upmarket

Great excitement - I have a comment on my last blog from my firstborn, so I must respond. He asks - did we go into the market? We did indeed and it was a sublime experience - not the cheap and cheerful four caulies for a pound market of East Enders nor even the east meets west of Sheffield's unique three storey Castle Market. No, this is quite the place to be seen in your Saturday best.

In this temple of spotless shiny floors, smart shopfronts, bright light and polite queues, lobsters floundered in a smeary tank, clawing their way down to the bottom of the heap in a forlorn attempt to escape the delving hand. The meat smelt fresh, the fruit glistened, the bagels tasted good and the salami was expensive.

It was a truly aesthetic experience but for some things, I am told, it is still best to shop at No Frills.

No comments:

Post a Comment