Tuesday 2 August 2011

Which way?

I am at a crossroads. I can take the road to Niagara Falls and see a wonder of the world or I could set out on the bleak trek north and hope that eventually I will find Father Christmas in his igloo and the North Polar Bear outside. Then again I could take the more straightforward options of Halifax or Vancouver.

It is not everyday one has such destinations to ponder, but often the scale of choice is as enormous. Will I remain in my well paid job and enjoy sensational splendours or pack my thermol underwear and head out on the less trod path? Perhaps I will just settle for the simple life and bake cakes.

The stunning paintings of the Group of Seven who set out to capture the magnificence of the Canadian wilderness, are working their magic. Nature is beckoning me away from civilisation, maybe just to sit on my own wooded hilltop and play with paint. Much depends, of course, on whether the promised letter of contract renewal is on my doormat when I return home. There are always other options. It's just that some are more comfortable than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment