Friday 6 August 2010

Before moving to Sheffield I lived on the Northumberland coast for fifteen years so it is good to feel silver sand between my toes again and to paddle in the edge of the ocean. But it was especially nice to see Pete, who stayed with me all last winter and was at times so frail, striding out in the sunshine with Mandie and Katie.

I first met Mandie when she was the age her own daughter is now. She had a cheeky smile and danced about in red wellies. Katie is just as lively, very independent and self-assured. She reminds me of my perplexing son Tom who when young questioned everything and would only do anything in his own way at his own pace much to the frustration of all who did not take the time to listen to him and realise that there is more to life than conformity.

Mandie and Matt have made me very welcome in their home. I have spent an evening or two this week ironing plastic with Mandie to devise an art project for the children with whom she works. I am in my element surrounded by heaps of coloured scraps and discarded experiments. They use their spare room as an art room and their house is full of their vibrant and imaginative paintings. I love this family.

This weekend we are off to the Bunya mountains with Mandie's brother Nik and his children Tegan and Jared. Katie has promised to bring her very special copy of The Borrowers so that we can read it in the evenings. I am very excited and am tucked up in bed early as I have been having trouble getting up in the mornings. It was 11 am today before I emerged from my cosy burrow and it was past noon before I slipped into the sparkling pool in the winter sunshine. Now that did remind me of home and the chilly North Sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment