Tuesday 3 August 2010

$10 prize

Today I bought a $10 raffle ticket for a house. This extraordinary raffle which is held several times a year, raises funds for Endeavour, a charity which supports young people with special needs leaving education and entering employment. The houses are built by workers for the charity, opened as show rooms for a short period when viewers can buy tickets and then given away with additional cash prizes as incentives to buy multiple tickets. I will find out if I have won the day before I am due to leave. I will not be allowed to live here even if I wanted to but would be able to sell the luxury bungalow with tiny "lap" pool and minute garden.

Then on to the beach of Bribie Island for a walk against the wind in the silvery sand, a distant view of the Pacific beyond the shadowy mountains on the far side of the inlet. August winds are blowing cold thought the sun is hot. Leaves on the yellow flowered Hibiscus trees are thinking about turning red. At times this winter is warmer than our summer but out of the sun it is chilly with the temperature ranging from 8 - 21 degrees celsius. Layers are definitely the dress code and quite a picture I must have looked in pedal pushers and shawl. I think I may be wearing every item of clothing I brought. Probably all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment