Saturday 21 August 2010

On this rocky crag stands a Quarantine Hospital where until relatively recently immigrants who had been in contact with infectious diseases on their journey were allocated accommodation fitting to their station in life and had to wait out the designated period in tantallising sight of
Sydney. Just down the coast is the popular Manly Beach where beautiful young things really do play beach volleyball in the sun. And just a little bit further on still is Queenscliff where Tom Joynson and his fiancee Sara are now established as newly arrived skilled immigrants with permission tp stay indefinitely.They make the daily ferry trip to work in Sydney and spend their weekends in the paradise that is Manly. Tom was at school with my Tom - they were cub scouts together - and I have had to ask myself how I would feel with a child on the other side of the planet. This week I have been watching BBC World service TV and I realise that the world is much smaller than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment