Wednesday 18 August 2010

James

This is no ordinary holiday. Each day something changes me, makes me feel and think differently. It is good to learn something everyday, and grow. Today I went to Flourmill Studios in Newtown, to the office of Iris Pictures and there I watched a 50 minute documentary about Alix, a girl with a radiant beauty that masks unimaginable pain. The writer and director of this film is Alix's half-sister, my friend Jessica Douglas-Henry, and it is a courageous and moving exploration of their journey to cope with the unexpected suicide of their teenage brother James. Not a conventional holiday activity but a strangely positive experience that will stay with me all my life. This is a taboo that needs to be broken, a story to be heard, a film to be seen. I have a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment