Monday 30 August 2010

Munich

Munich is a most beautiful airport but best avoided at 5am on a Saturday morning when staff are scarce and those that are there are stern. Above all it is best to be in the right place at the right time and definitely not a good idea to nearly miss the plane or you will be reprimanded in no uncertain terms.

In my defence, it had been a long night, flying through the darkness with the orbit of the planet so that daybreak was always behind us.

Singapore Airlines missed no trick to occupy us and at I awoke at the dead of this endless night to be offered a choice of turkey sandwich, peanuts or chocolate bar. Thus it was I passed over Africa eating a Snickers bar in my sleep, a surreal moment I only just remember. This journey seemed twice as long as the outward trip and despite my super socks my legs hurt and my hands went numb, everything ached and I could only doze and suppose that you get better with practice as some around me seemed sound asleep in extraordinary poses.

It was a relief to be served with a 10 part breakfast at 9.30am Singapore time and 3.30am Munich time. So when we disembarked with the German travellers to go through the strict security routine perhaps I could be forgiven for being a bit confused. Absolutely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment